Loss of a pet

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Be With Me Jewelry Admin 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Share your experience strength and hope about the loss of your pet.

The way I feel

They say there is a reason,
    They say that time will heal,
    But neither time nor reason,
    Will change the way I feel,

No-one knows the heartache,
    That lies behind my smile,
    No-one knows how many times,
    I have broken down and cried,

I want to tell you something,
    So there won’t be any doubt,
    You’re so wonderful to think of,
    But so hard to be without.

~Author Unknown

Cat Poem

They will not go quietly,
    the cats who’ve shared our lives.
    In subtle ways, they let us know
    their spirit still survives

Old habits still make us think
    we hear a meow at the door.
    Or step back when we drop
    a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place
    the food dish used to be,
    And, sometimes, coming home at night,
    we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends
    and a new food dish to fill,
    That one place in our hearts
    belongs to them. . . and always will.

Coping with the grief of pet loss
    Sorrow and grief are normal and natural responses to death. Like grief for our friends and loved ones, grief for our animal companions can only be dealt with over time, but there are healthy ways to cope with the pain. Here are some suggestions:

Don’t let anyone tell you how to feel, and don’t tell yourself how to feel either. Your grief is your own, and no one else can tell you when it’s time to “move on” or “get over it.” Let yourself feel whatever you feel without embarrassment or judgment. It’s okay to be angry, to cry or not to cry. It’s also okay to laugh, to find moments of joy, and to let go when you’re ready.

Reach out to others who have lost pets. If your own friends and family members are not sympathetic about pet loss, find someone who is. Often, another person who has also experienced the loss of a beloved pet may better understand what you’re going through.

Rituals can help healing. A funeral can help you and your family members openly express your feelings. Ignore people who think it’s inappropriate to hold a funeral for a pet and do what feels right for you.

Create a legacy. Preparing a memorial, Cremation Jewelry, in memory of your pet, compiling a photo album or scrapbook, or otherwise sharing the memories you enjoyed with your pet, can create a legacy to celebrate the life of your animal companion. Remembering the fun and love you shared with your pet can help you to eventually move on.

Look after yourself. The stress of losing a pet can quickly deplete your energy and emotional reserves. Looking after your physical and emotional needs will help you get through this difficult time. Eat a healthy diet, get plenty of sleep, and exercise regularly to release endorphins and help boost your mood.

If you have other pets, try to maintain your normal routine. Surviving pets can also experience loss when a pet dies, or they may become distressed by your sorrow. Maintaining their daily routines, or even increasing exercise and play times, will not only benefit the surviving pets but can also help to elevate your outlook too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed